Thursday, June 4, 2009

Little Treasures


How cute is this? When I found it DB declared "You love junk!" It was said with a grin but maybe he thinks the stuff I like is junk...OH well! How could this stuff be considered junk?! Maybe he thinks "junk" is a synonym for antique (and also rather charming)? This my new darling antique thread sorter (found on Etsy). I love it, love it. In the background is one of my other favorite items - my butterfly, milkglass lamp.

I have been away from the world of sewing blogs in a big way the past few months - work was seriously draining me. This weekend left me feeling rejuvenated and motivated though. It's not like I haven't been working on a few things. Just haven't had much opportunity to be online. Without further delay, here's the catch-up.

Completed BWOF top 113 from the November 2008 edition. I haven't had time to post a pattern review yet. Lots of others have made this as well. It's simple, easy and not a bad look (for a bag shirt). I used French seams throughout (a first for me) and am pretty happy with it overall. At the end, I had a bad moment and decided to bind the hem with bias tape that was way too heavy. Now it waves out too stiff for my tastes but I intend to rip and re-hem without the tape. What was I thinking?! Hair disclaimer: apologies, DB told me it looked fine and I was too tired to double check. It's not usually so lopsided.

Remember our lovely new, blue kitchen? Well, it needed a little something to shock the senses out of the world of a Dutch plate. We had some natural-colored, linen chair covers from Crate & Barrel that I had purchased off a friend who was moving back to Germany (he threw in so much stuff these were probably a whole dollar) and I had a new batch of procion dyes from DharmaTrading I was anxious to play with so I made them "Fire Red". What do you think? I love them! The red has blue undertones and is super cheery. Think I see a little Fire Red linen jacket in my future...
Here's one with a bookbag I have just completed. The pattern came from Sew Simple vol. 10. It was super easy and I learned a lot from it as I had never attempted one of these before. Some features: It is lined, has a box bottom, and a zipper attached to flanges so it creates an almost-complete closure on top. Here's one of the top. Things I'd change for next time: add a small pocket for my phone onto the lining, flat fell the seams on the bottom (wondering if I can do the sides this way too) and bind all of the seam edges that I show. *shrug* There's quite a bit I'd change but I was determined to sew from stash and see what I came up with. I keep finding that every project holds mucho sewing lessons so nothing is a waste!

I had wanted to include a photo or two from the Maker Faire earlier this month but I'm running out of time so I'll add another short post on that later.

Happy summer! Happy sewing!
Rachel S.

No comments: